Contour Without Line

Contour Without Line
Flesh
Paper

          In order to create lines without using traditional mediums, I recalled wrinkles in paper that created lines, but I didn't want to just ball up a piece of paper. Instead, I wondered how wrinkles in paper might mimic wrinkles in skin, so I decided to create a face in the folds. I spritzed the paper with water and began the task of somehow molding this two-dimensional plane into a wrinkly old face. With the water, the paper became soft and malleable, perfect for crinkling, but also very frail. At first, when I accidentally ripped a hole in the paper, I was upset at myself. But then I realized how well it fit into what I was trying to convey. A wrinkle in skin never becomes unwrinkled, just like how a wrinkle in paper, a deep crease, can never be completely fixed. A rip, then, is just the same. It showcases the fragility and mortality of a face. 
          A wrinkle free face a idealized by society. Although an old, leathery face shows age and wisdom, many find youth to be the ideal beauty, and an old face is therefore ugly and undesirable. But wrinkles, no matter what steps are taken to avoid them, are innately unavoidable. Humans, like paper, are fragile. Like that initial tear, wrinkles can remind us of our own fragility, and that can be frightening. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Million Marks off Paper

Walk the Line

Post #11