Post #6

Reading Response

There have been many times in my life when I have felt insignificant. At a younger age, and sometimes even in recent years, it could bring me to tears to think about how little I will likely impact the world. I want to make a difference, or at least be remembered, and the thought of never living up to either of those things scares me. Perhaps it is less fear of not going down in history, and more fear of never amounting to anything worthwhile.
When I was very young, maybe 4 or 5, sometimes my mom or dad would wake me and my siblings up in the middle of the night and we'd drive a little way down the road until we got to a clearing. We'd get out of the van in the cold, wet night, and mom would lay a blanket down on the ground and we'd watch the stars. I believe she only did this if there was a meteor shower, and we'd lay there and watch stars fly by. Afterward, we'd all pile back into the van and drive home, and mom would make everyone hot chocolate before we'd go back to bed. 
When you see a shooting star, you're supposed to make a wish. If I remembered anything I wished for as a child, I still wouldn't say, because it's bad luck. The point is, each one of those shooting stars was only visible to Earth for a fraction of a second, and if no one had seen it, what difference would it have made? But there was one girl laying on a blanket with her family who noticed that flash of a star and gave it meaning. And I like to think that if I can just be like one of those stars, I'll be all right. 

Inspiration



Work



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Walk the Line

A Million Marks off Paper

Post #11