One Mark Against Many

One Mark Against Many
PLEASE
Take a penny
if you noticed me
Video

Read before or after video at own discretion

          Homelessness is a constant in the United States, and in St. Augustine it is no different. It is difficult to walk down a busy street without encountering someone huddled up in a corner in dingy clothing, or sprawled across a stone bench with a small bag of their possessions. So for my video, I wanted to see how people react to someone like this. Would they look away? Would they speak to me? Would they read my sign? 

My sign read:                                            PLEASE
Take a penny
if you noticed me

          In preparation for this, I wanted to look and feel the part. I didn't shower for several days, I limited my diet, and on the day of, I rubbed dirt onto my hands and face. It is this that I believe caused me to contract an illness that evening, which I am currently fighting. 

          I did not expect the reaction I received. While most people strolled by without glancing in my direction, and people would occasionally read my sign from a distance, but were too scared to approach, there were many people who gave me money or offered help. In the beginning of this project, I had tentatively decided to not speak to anyone until they took a penny, offering nothing more than a "Thank you" for their action. However, after several people had thrown money into my hat unwarranted, my conscience caught up with me. Eventually, I began refusing money, which caused many people, including a little girl, to walk away from me rather confused.

          After my time on St. George, I left with my eyes peeled for a genuine homeless person whom I could give the money I unjustly received. I found a man, and as I handed him the small wad of cash, he said the strangest thing:

          "Is this extra?" He asked, initially denying the cash.

          "Just take it. Don't worry about it." I replied.

          "Are you sure? Do you have enough?" He said, hesitantly extending his hand. Then again said, "Is this extra?"

          "Yeah, you're good." I smiled, finally understanding what he meant.

          It was a fascinating, dare-I-say, heartwarming experience. I went in with more curiosity than expectation, and the result made me wonder what a longer attempt might be like, if I extended it over several days. Despite the impractical aspects of it, (and the likelihood I would contract several more diseases), it has definitely left me with new questions that I hope to answer in the future.



          I did not include time when no one was walking by, as I did not consider it a mark.

Lauren Curtis



         

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Million Marks off Paper

Walk the Line

Post #11