Post #8

Reading Response

Introversion and extroversion are fascinating concepts. The idea that someone draws energy from people while another draws energy from solitude is interesting, and begs the question of what sort of energy is it refering to. I can't imagine that someone who is extroverted does not eventually burn out after constant social interaction, nor can I believe that an intervet does not eventually yern for human contact after several weeks alone. Yet, these two dividors have been used to separate the human race for decades.
I have always thought of myself as an introvert, but recently this has come into question. I enjoy spending time with certain people, but I need to have alone time to think and write out my thoughts. However, I don't like to be alone for too long. After a few days, I need to talk to someone. After a few hours of being in a large group, I need a break. So, which is it? Intro or extro? I don't particularly feel like I get energy from either situation. However, I have developed a system of understanding to grasp this concept.
There is social sanity and social energy. When social sanity refers to the amount of social interaction I've had recently. Meaning, when social sanity is full, I am completely content with how many humans I've been around recently, and can comfortably be alone. When social sanity drops, I get antsy to talk to someone. It means I've been alone for too long. Social energy, on the other hand, is the energy I use to interact with people and gain social sanity. I use up social energy when I am around people and I store up social energy when I'm by myself. Both of these, social energy and social sanity, must be carefully balanced to have a comfortable state of mind, and I think everyone, to some extend, has the same energy give and take.
When I'm alone, I restore my ability to be around people, while simultaneously becoming more antsy to see people. When I'm around people, I get the human contact I so desperately need, but at the cost of my energy levels. Some people likely have larger or smaller thresholds for both sanity and energy, and perhaps that is where the line between introvert and extrovert appears. However, I don't think it is nearly as cut and dry as I have been told it is.

Inspiration

Chris Chan: A Comprehensive History

Sculpture in the Expanded Field by Rosalind Krauss

The works of John Singer Sargent

Work



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Walk the Line

A Million Marks off Paper

Post #11