Art and Fear Response

1. The work that seems the most mine is the work I create without trying to fit it to anyone else's desires. For example, everything I have created in this class this semester has been work I have been interested in and wanted to make. In other classes, I don't always feel like the work is wholly mine because I'm not making it to please myself, but to please a professor. Work that comes from my own head for my own enjoyment is the work I believe is the most mine. It isn't always my best work, but it feels the most like me.


2. I admire and am inspired by the work of Kehinde Wiley. He is inspired by historic portrait painting. He takes the medium of 19th century portrait painting and merges it with his contemporary ideas. I have also been inspired by portrait painting, and am relieved that there is still an audience willing to view portraiture today.


3. Art is a broad term, so it could be argued that what we deem as art now is not the same across time and culture. However, cave paintings, decorated pottery, and effigies prove that art has been around for as long as humankind could make it. Art is an expression of self, and it is an outlet for emotion and concepts. People have a need to express themselves in one way or another, and since art is so broad, with paintings, sculptures, music, poetry, stories, etc. it is nearly impossible for someone to go through life without dabbling in one of these things. Art articulates emotion in ways other expressions can't, and it allows others to share in emotional and grow together.


4. these ideas resonates most with you? Why? If they all resonate, how do they differ?
I believe art is something you do about the world, and from a need to complete that relationship between self and the world around you. Without expression, you can never bridge the gap between inner being and outer world. Art is the tool used to bridge the gap between thought and reality.


5. I notice I have a need for human contact. My methods are almost always representational, and my subjects are nearly constantly people. Figures are my favorite subjects and I find that I am more drawn to drawing the same face over and over again than to drawing dozens of different still lives. Humans and fluid, breathing creatures, that all exist with the same basic structures, differentiated by subtle bulges or redactions here and there. I spent so long without human contact that even now when I am around people constantly, I still haven't gotten my fill. Everyone is unique and fascinating, and there's no shortage of souls to explore.

6. I feel as if I answered this in the previous response, because I care about people. I think everyone is worthwhile, and everyone has a story and a life ahead of them. We are all broken in our own ways, and the different ways people patch themselves up is endlessly intriguing to me. I also care an awful lot about representation and realism, and put a lot of time and effort into making my work more and more accurate to life when I can. I take a good deal of pride in my portrait paintings, because those are where my two passions collide.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Million Marks off Paper

Walk the Line

Post #11