Serial Working: On Paper

Serial Working: On Paper
The Place and Clay Falls
Acrylic, ink, graphite, and oil on paper


Based on the style of Friedrich Kunath, I aimed to make surrealist depictions of locations from my childhood. The Place was somewhere my sister and I would play and relax. It was our private escape. It was our magical root stretching across the creek bed, perfectly placed by nature just for us. Clay Falls was a place of inspiration and disappointment. The white clay by the water promised sculptures and pottery, but was filled with tiny stones, proving unmoldable.
 There was also a wonderment about these locations. I attempted to capture it in my art. I wanted to use Kunath's strange style of imagery to highlight childlike imagination. It is difficult, then, not to be consumed by my own nostalgia for the forest. A part of me fears that that is exactly what I've done. However, in order to be completely honest to these locations, it was necessary that I didn't entirely eliminate the idea of nostalgia. A faithful rendering of these locations would have not only disregarded Kunath's style, but also the entire concept I was striving for. I did my best, however, not to over-romanticize these places in the drawings, and hopefully my meaning shows through.

The Place, at time of critique
Clay Falls, at time of critique
The Place
close up

Clay Falls
close up

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Million Marks off Paper

Walk the Line

Post #11